Sunday 29 April 2012

My friend died

The title says it all really. A good friend passed away a few weeks ago.  I received the news at 9.30 on a Sunday morning, as soon as I heard the voice I knew.  Sid had died of a massive heart attack after feeling unwell for  a few days.

I liked Sid a lot, he was generous, kind and thoughtful; he loved company and being part of a large crowd but he was equally happy with small groups of people playing games and idling the time away.  What was most interesting about Sid was his chosen lifestyle.  He owned a camper van, music equipment and left much of his 'stuff' dotted around in very well ordered boxes in other people's houses.  I do mean very well ordered boxes as well. When I went up to see Phil my other good friend, Sid had left much of his stuff in the spare room.  It saddened me to see evidence of Sid around the room, his clothes, boxes and equipment.

 I was drawn to a little box that opened with a fabric hinge and fabric ties around the sides, this was his writing box.  My thoughts were just what value Sid placed on writing. His writing box had an assortment of pens, envelopes and paper, all neatly stacked and I remembered Sid flicking through this box when the mood took him to write to people.

The reason I am saying all this, is that Sid died with no immediate family, he was not married, had no children and no home.  However, he was rich in the fundamental aspect that I think is missing from a lot of what we do now. He learnt the secret of giving, being compassionate and living to the full in a very ordered and precise manner.  His service was not Christian, he was cremated at Melrose crematorium and his ashes were set sail on a little paper boat from Lindisfarne island.   A few hundred people met in the ancient market village of Belford , Northumberland and they had, by all accounts, a ball:)

Sid had found his secret to living a life that gave more in value to everyone he met.  He had his faults mind, everyone does but I shall miss Sid.  We spent a long hour up in Skye drinking in the pub in Carbost after a days walking, or a few hours 'jamming' on guitars and keyboards...stupid texts and stupid juvenile behaviour from blokes who should know better.



Running has made sense of this to me..just to let you know where this was going.  I have not run 'away' from this news but ran to own it and understand it. Apply what I have learnt focus and really appreciate what life can be about.    Keep practising!

1 comment:

  1. Farewell Sid, and I'm sure he'd be happy to know you'd run and written to celebrate his life. I do 3 things to mark the passing of someone I love in appreciation of their life. No matter how small that gesture has been it has always enhanced my life, usually in a way I never expected, and it is a permanent reminder if them in my life. To Sid. To Friendship. :-)

    ReplyDelete